It’s time for another Austin Sports Medicine 101 class!
In our last blog, we talked about how sports medicine acupuncture is part of the overall umbrella of services offered to the injured athlete, no matter their age or athletic ability. Acupuncture is a tool that can provide great relief and recovery for injuries. The ultimate goals of the acupuncturist are healing, enhancement and prevention, but here are a few more of their specific goals during the process:
- Take a specialized Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) differential diagnosis from eastern methods and incorporate western medicine approaches.
- Perform postural analysis and understand muscle imbalance in relationship to injury.
- Channel imbalances and accurately identify injured tissue.
- Apply orthopedic examinations, range of motion and manual muscle testing to accurately assess musculoskeletal injury and dysfunction.
- Formulate a diagnosis, develop a treatment plan and protocol and implement a successful treatment strategy from both TCM and western perspectives.
- Communicate effectively with doctors and other relevant healthcare providers for a team-managed approach to recovery and wellness.