It’s time for another Austin Sports Medicine 101 class!
April is National Eye Safety Month. Balls, bats, fingers – they’re all dangerous. When you hit the field, court or rink, it’s important to protect your eyes. Here’s the score on sports eye injuries:
- 100,000 injuries each year
- 42,000 injured go to ER each year
- 13,500 injured go blind each year
- Every 13 minutes, an ER treats a sports eye injury
- $3,996 is the average cost of a basketball eye injury for a child under 15
- One in 3 sports eye injuries involve kids
Don’t become a statistic. For more information on eye safety, visit www.geteyesmart.org, the public education website of the American Academy of Ophthalmology.