It’s time for another Austin Sports Medicine 101 class! It’s that time of year again – for many of us, a new year means it’s time to reflect on the past while making plans for a better future. Resolutions are a great way to put new focus on improving ourselves in a variety of ways. Read on for our thoughts on how to keep your body in better working condition in 2013!
- Use proper techniques when lifting heavy objects to avoid hurting your back. We’ve all heard we should “lift with our legs.” If you’re not sure on the correct way to do it, stop by for a quick demonstration.
- Pay close attention to your form, breathing and range of motion during exercises. If you’re not performing exercises correctly, you could do more damage than good. Don’t let your mind wander during these activities – make every repetition as good as it can be.
- Always be aware of your posture. Maintain an upright posture position at all times. Check yourself out in the mirror throughout the day – if you’re slouching, correct it. It may require a conscious effort at first, but soon it will become second nature.
- Stretch throughout the entire day, not just before and after exercising. Take a moment at work and at home to keep your body limber.
- Don’t let nagging joint and muscle pain linger. If you’re having minor pains, address it with your physical therapist. Small pains can balloon into bigger problems if they’re not dealt with.