It’s time for another Austin Sports Medicine 101 class! If you’ve never had acupuncture treatment, you may be wondering what to expect, perhaps even a little nervous. Here are some facts about what you can expect during your visit:
- Needles. Acupuncture involves needles – there’s no avoiding it. Definitely a good idea to come to terms with this before booking an appointment.
- Little pain. The good news is the needles used for acupuncture are so thin that there’s little to no pain with the treatment.
- Clean. Needles are completely sterile and never reused.
- Relief. Acupuncture often times offers immediate pain relief. It’s very common to have some improvement on the day of the first visit.
- Keep at it. The overall effect of acupuncture may take several visits. Committing to the overall treatment plan is the only way to achieve the desired end results.
- Relax. Some locations on the body will feel a sensation like heaviness or lightness. The experience should be very relaxing and many patients actually fall asleep during acupuncture.