It’s time for another Austin-area sports medicine 101 class! Today we’re focusing on the facts and history of acupuncture.
- The purpose of acupuncture is to promote health and alleviate pain.
Acupuncturists view health from the concepts of “vital energy,” “energetic balance” and “energetic imbalance.”
- Acupuncturists influence health by stimulating areas or “acupoints” by fine, slender needles.
- In addition to needles, other forms of stimulation used by acupuncturists include herbs, electricity, magnets and lasers.
- Most experts agree that acupuncture is at least 2000 years old. Oriental Medicine (of which acupuncture is just one component) is the most widely utilized healing system.
- Acupuncture’s origins are in China, but it is utilized in many areas, including Asia, Europe and North America.
If you have questions or have needs regarding sports medicine in Austin or the surrounding areas, visit us at http://medinmotion.com, call or send us an email!