It’s time for another Austin Sports Medicine 101 class!
Did you know that not only does sleep disturbance affect your quality of life by making you feel tired, it also affects your long term health? Lack of sleep is a stressor to the system that can:
- cause you to be susceptible to infection,
- lower your metabolism,
- cause you to binge eat and crave carbs,
- increase your blood pressure,
- lower your mood and sex drive,
- lower your sports performance,
- alter your metabolism of sugar,
- decrease your concentration and memory, and
- quicken your mortality.
Everyone has a different sleep need. The best marker of your sleep quality is making note of how you feel when you wake up. Do you feel energized and excited about the day? Or are you dragging yourself out of bed? If you’re dragging, pay attention! Start to improve your sleep by being careful to go to bed and awaken at the same time every day, decrease caffeine or other stimulants, eat well and exercise. If your sleep is still disturbed, consider looking into it further by seeing your healthcare provider.