It’s time for another Austin-area family medicine 101 class!
For a simple tool you can use in your everyday diet and nutrition:
- Take a plate and divide it into four quarters.
- Two quarters (or half) of the plate is for vegetables.
- One quarter is for protein.
- The remaining quarter is for carbohydrates.
- Vegetables should be the focus, taking up the majority of the plate.
- It involves about three ounces of protein and 1/3 cup of carbs.
You want to focus on abundance not deprivation. That’s why we can focus on colorful vegetables on the plate, as these are considered “free” foods so you really don’t have to worry about calories with them.