It’s time for another Austin-area family medicine 101 class!
Have you ever tried nutritional yeast? Okay, don’t laugh. Let me give you some reasons why you should. First, what is it?
- It is a pure yeast strain from the same family as mushrooms.
- It looks a little like flour but is a little more yellowish in color.
- You can generally find it in the bulk section of health food stores.
So why go looking for it? Well, nutritional yeast has many health benefits.
- One ounce has more than 200% of your daily needs of Vitamin B12, an essential micronutrient that is needed for the proper formation of red blood cells. It’s plant-based, so it’s perfect for the vegetarians and vegans out there. Other than nutritional yeast, other sources of B12 mostly come from animal products. So nutritional yeast is a great plant-based alternative.
- It’s also an excellent source of protein and fiber.
- But perhaps the best part is the flavor it brings. Add it to soups for a rich, cheesy kick. Sprinkle it on popcorn or past like parmesan cheese. It’s such a versatile ingredient you’ll probably come up with your own uses for it.
So remember, nutritional yeast may sound really funky, but the health and taste benefits are amazing!