At Medicine in Motion, we specialize in providing top quality sports medicine healthcare in Austin, TX for active individuals and athletes. To keep you active and healthy, we provide physician diagnosis, sports medicine and rehabilitation services, concussion evaluation, sports event medical coverage, and personal physical training care to the greater Austin Texas area.
- Injury evaluation and treatment
- Joint injections and aspirations
- Minor Office Surgery – laceration repair, stitches, wound care
- Fracture and dislocation treatment – Splinting and Casting
- Diagnostic ultrasound
- Illness evaluation and treatment
- Asthma action plans
- Concussion evaluation and care
- Preventative Medicine
- Comprehensive sports physicals
- Chronic illness improvement plans
- Exercise prescriptions
In Dr. Martha Pyron’s eyes, there is no difference between the trail walker and the pro athlete: both deserve the best care available, and that’s exactly what each patient will receive at Medicine in Motion. When you visit Dr. Pyron, you receive comprehensive care from an integrated team of professionals. With board certifications in both family practice and sports medicine, she can evaluate her patients’ needs from two unique perspectives. Dr. Pyron has more than a decade of experience working with a range of athletes, from Olympic softball contenders to Austin’s very own Longhorns. An appointment with Dr. Pyron is thorough, precise, and informative. She takes the time to collaborate with and educate her patients so they leave her office with a complete understanding of their injury and their own customized plan of care.
Physical Therapy Services
People ultimately seek treatment for pain. For musculoskeletal conditions, pain is related to inflammation as a result of movement inefficiency. Physical therapy is perfectly suited to assist these issues. These injuries may include among others:
- Ankle sprains and other foot injuries
- Shoulder injuries
- Low back pain and sciatica
- Knee injuries
- Neck pain and headaches
- Post surgical rehab
- General pain and weakness
Physical therapy aims to help you recover from your injury and prevent re-injury through individualized care such as therapeutic exercise, neuromuscular reeducation, and manual therapy. A holistic and rational approach can guide you through the process of recovery where you may not be comfortable or have adequate knowledge to effectively work independently.
Women’s Sports Medicine Services
- Female athlete preseason screening and injury prevention
- ACL injury prevention and Awareness
- Concussions in Female Athletes
- Dance Medicine
- Pregnancy and Post-Patrum Sports Medicine
- Sports Nutrition and Eating Disorders
- Access to sports medicine experts, each with a special interest in treating female athletes and experience in treating athletes in female-specific sports
- Education to raise awareness about the injuries and issues that specifically affect female athletes
With the ever increasing exposure of professional female athletes; the dynamic presence of women in sports today gives new meaning to “playing like a girl!”
While cutting-edge research in women’s sports medicine continues to be produced, studies have shown that women require specialized care, as they are more uniquely susceptible to various sports-related injuries.
At Medicine in Motion, our Women’s Sports Medicine Services are designed to support and care for female athletes of all ages and performance levels. Our team of multidisciplinary experts provides a wide range of services and will collaborate as a team to design treatment plans that are specific to each patient based on their individual needs and goals.
Our holistic approach to care means that whether you are dealing with an injury, struggling with nutrition, or want to learn more about injury prevention, we have experts to help.
Concussion Evaluation & Analysis
WHEN TO USE CONCUSSION TESTING?
- You play a contact sport, such as football, soccer, wrestling, etc., you should receive a baseline concussion assessment.
- You suffered a potential head/neck trauma and did not get a baseline testing prior to the start of the season.
- You have had several concussions in the past and are worried about long term complications.
- You do not play a sport but have had a recent head injury and want to evaluate your cognitive abilities.
- You are the parent of an athlete and want to make sure their brain is protected.
The best way to manage concussions is to conduct a baseline test prior to the sports season starting. Then if there is a head injury, repeat the test for comparison. By having a comparison between the athlete’s brain functioning before and after the concussion, the clinician is able to make a better evaluation.
Concussions are one of the most common and difficult to manage injuries seen in sports today. News of these injuries, and the sometimes chronic and serious outcomes that follow, have been making headlines across the country. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, between 1.6 million and 3.8 million brain injuries occur in sports each year – and 63,000 occur in high school athletes alone. With recent advances in neuroscience, sports medicine clinicians are discovering new and better methods to protect your brain health.
Sports concussion experts have agreed that the diagnosis of acute concussion usually involves the assessment of clinical symptoms, physical signs, behavior, balance, sleep and cognition. Just like professional sports physicians, the team at Medicine in Motion uses computerized testing to detect when an athlete is suffering from a concussion. This tool, along with a physician evaluation, can also determine when the concussion has resolved, thereby allowing an athlete to safely return to play.
Recovery Clinic Services
At Medicine in Motion, we want to provide accessible restorative treatments to our community and our Recovery Clinic services is the way to do this. We can improve your performance, enhance recovery, and decrease pain immediately without the hassle of needing to verify your health insurance through the use of sports massage techniques such as:
- Myofascial Cupping
- Compressional Band Flossing
- Stretch Therapy
- Trigger Point Therapy
- Scraping Therapy / Instrument-Assisted Soft Tissue Mobilization
- Dry Needling
- Cryotherapy via Game Ready
- Deep Tissue Massage
- …and much more.
An active and pain-free body absent of limitations is a basic need for any athlete. There are numerous benefits that a stretching session offer. Mobility-Stretch helps you improve flexibility, reduces chances of injury, extends range of motion, and relaxes tense muscles.
NormaTec & Rapid Reboot Compression Therapy
The pulsing compression sensation will reduce swelling and fluid build-up by increasing blood flow and assisting the lymphatic system for removal of toxins from your body. Experience the natural benefits of improved circulation, relief from muscle pain and soreness, resulting in a proactive recovery. These are great to use after a heavy day of training.
A latex free therapeutic technique used to reduce pain and swelling, improve posture, prevent re-injury, and improve athletic awareness and performance. The tape is applied directly to the skin across joint and soft tissue. It is elastic and waterproof and lasts 3-5 days.
1-ON-1 Training Services
Working with Medicine In Motion is the gold standard. We develop a completely custom program after a through assessments that specifically supports you in achieving your personal and performance / health / fitness goals. Includes unlimited access to your coach.
- Our knowledgeable and experienced team at Medicine In Motion has post-graduate degrees and certifications including a sports medicine physician, physical therapist, exercise physiology, and athletic trainers.
- No need to completely rest or rely on painkillers
- Designed with your long term health & fitness in mind
- Custom program design
- Personal check-ins and accountability
- Work out on your schedule
- No equipment requirements
- Can be completed remotely or in-clinic
Assess. Don’t guess. We understand how frustrating it can be to struggle through performance plateaus and never-ending aches and pains. You have tried everything and you are not seeing any results. Our Performance Assessment is designed to help you uncover why, and to lead you to the solutions of your most frustrating problems.
Learn about your:
- Muscle Imbalances
Set up a call with our Medicine In Motion coach to get started. This assessment can be completed remotely or in clinic. You’ll have the opportunity to ask questions and will receive recommendations on improving your performance and eliminating your pain.
Remote Running Coaching Services
Wanting to participate in your first race? Looking to hit new mileage? Determined to hit a new personal record? Online running coaching is a great way to make that happen. At Medicine in Motion, our clients will have access to an online training platform with weekly updates of their training regimen to ensure effective results and communication with their online coach.
TOP REASONS TO HAVE A RUNNING COACH:
- Have someone to hold you accountable
- Have a guide for your journey
- Learn how to minimize chances of injuries
- Learn proper hydration and nutrition consumption
- Learn proper training/race day gear
Coaching is currently available for 5k, 10k, Half-Marathon, and Marathons. Set-up a phone call consultation to learn more and get started!
Sports Event Medical Coverage
When our event coverage is perfect for you:
- If you are organizing a race and need a team to provide medical coverage
- If you are a league organizer who is sponsoring a tournament
- If you play on a recreational team, want a plan of care developed to prevent injuries, and/or have them treated promptly
- If you are the parent of a child on a team and are interested in injury prevention.
- If you want your team members to avoid trips to the ER and receive specialized care from the moment of injury; saving time and money
Our experts have traveled worldwide to work with events and teams – including the U.S. Women’s Softball, U.S. Ski team, and the U.S. Field Hockey team. Our work in these events is tailored to the specific needs of the organizers. If you want medical staff there, just in case of an emergency or to calm parents’ fears; or if you are looking for a complete sports medicine team to work with your team for the entire season, we are available for you!
Medical Director Services
Dr. Pyron’s Services as Medical Director:
- Determine the appropriate safety and medical coverage needed based on the sporting event
- Provide expert level injury prevention and injury care before, during, and after the sporting event
- Provide medical assessments with the goal of the participant continuing the event without further injury
- If it is found to be unsafe, optimal medical care will be provided to avoid further injury
Dr. Pyron, a Board Certified Sports Medicine Physician, has worked with collegiate level athletic teams as the Team Physician, as well as Medical Director with several major sporting events, such as the Ironman Triathlon and the Austin Marathon. Years of focused sport medicine experience in the clinic as well as on the field have allowed Dr. Pyron and her staff to efficiently care for all athletes.
An athlete herself, Dr. Pyron is in a unique position to determine when a participant is no longer fit to continue the race, or when transport for advanced medical care is required. Dr. Pyron analyzes the potential for injury and illness and creates safety protocols specific to each event in accordance with best medical practices.
Team Physician Services
Dr. Pyron’s Services as Team Physician include pre-participation examinations with:
- Concussion baseline and balance testing
- Chronic illness management
- Injury prevention
- Quick access to Medicine In Motion for injury management
- Return to play protocols to maximize performance while preventing re-injury
Medicine In Motion is a sport medicine clinic uniquely positioned to provide comprehensive care for athletic teams of all skill levels. Dr. Pyron’s residency in Family Medicine and fellowship in Sports Medicine along with her experience as the team physician for Penn State University and the University of Texas in Austin shaped her exceptional skill set and experience needed to take care of athletes. Dr. Pyron and her team works together to form an athletic care network that is involved with the care of athletes on and off the field. Medicine In Motion also provides safety consultations with event organizers and administrators.
Athletic Training Services
Having an Athletic Trainer at any event is imperative to ensure the safety of all athletes involved. Athletic Trainers are sports medicine professionals who will provide the following services:
- Emergency Care
- On-Field Injury Evaluation
- Sideline Therapeutic Treatment
- Injury Prevention
- And much more!